Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Climb Into My Lap


Climb Into My Lap

Selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins

Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 1998. CLIMB INTO MY LAP. Illustrated By Kathryn Brown. New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0689807155

Sharing poems with young children is the bases of Climb into My Lap. LeeBennett Hopkins assembled a group of poems meant to be read aloud and enjoyed. Some of the pomes are traditional (Eentsy, Weentsy Spider, This Little Piggy) while others offer a bit of an unusual spin (Whi Ever Sausage a Thing?). The book is divided into eight sections that relate to a young child’s life, starting with ME! and ending with Good Night. Each section offers a variety of free verse poems and rhyming poems, long poems (four pages long) and short poems (four verses Long). Some of the poems offer a glimpse into the past (When I was a baby I did that), comfort of knowing others do the same thing (I have a secret place to go), and permission to be silly (I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed).

Kathryn Brown’s illustrations give the reader and viewer a sense of actually being there in the poem by adding details to the characters on the pages. In the poem My Name, the little boy sports a smile missing a tooth and one cowboy boot on and the other one lying under the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment